Tuesday 24 August 2010

Thing 22

I have to admit that I do use Wikipedia - I didn't at first as the accuarcy seemed poor, but it has got better and now it is often a first port of call. See salsa dance.

I have looked at various wikis and I like the fact that you can all get together and edit a page - I can see it being useful in peer-to-peer work. There seems to be a blurred line between blogs & wikis and I am not so sure that it will be as useful for librarian-to-public material; blogs or webpages seem more of use here. I looked at many library wikis (both from the samples and a quick search on google) and although they seemed to all have options for comments, most of them seemed to be used as web pages and there were no comments that I could see on the pages. These were of course, public wikis and so maybe not as representative as private ones where a small group of people are all contributing to one piece of material.

I like Wikipedia (although I would check important information before I used it) and I like the peer-to-peer uses wikis have. I am happy presenting information to my readers by web, blog or twitter, and I do not plan to start any ikis for my own library - at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment